A-1 American Services repairs and installs all brands and models of electric water heaters.
An electric water heater will be the least expensive to buy and have installed but will use more energy, leading to higher energy bills over time. Besides electric water heaters, we offer every other type in the industry. To decide which option is best to suit your needs, used our guide to determine which type of water heater is right for you?
How it works:
In an electric water heater, an electrical current passes through heating elements which warm up the water in the tank. Most electric water heaters have two heating elements which are similar to electric stove burners in function, but they are designed to be in water. The water is heated and then stored in a tank until it is needed. For a quick, easy-to-understand video demonstration on how electric water heaters work, please click the link.
A-1 American Services has the expertise you need for:
- Electric Water Heater Installation
- Electric Water Heater Repair
- You don’t need a gas line in your house with an electric water heater, which also means no combustibles or venting is needed.
- They cost much less than tankless water heaters and are less expensive to install. They are also generally less expensive than gas water heaters.
- They cannot be energy star certified.
- They generally cost more to operate than gas tanks and use more energy.
Features to consider:
- Tank capacity is important because it needs to have enough water heated in the tank for simultaneous household duties. At the same time, it shouldn’t be too large of a tank that it will waste energy.
- To reduce corrosion, pick a Glass lined tank.
- Look for one with a high recovery rate. This means the unit will heat up water faster and save energy.
- Choose brass drain valves are more durable than plastic drain valves.
- The self-cleaning feature on an electric water heater reduces sediment build-up and prolongs the lifespan of the water heater.
- A longer warranty is beneficial. Warranties can range from 3 to 12 years and the longer the warranty usually means the better the water heater.
- Longer warranty electric water heaters tend to have larger heating elements which heat up the tank more quickly.
Problems that occur with age and maintenance:
- Heating elements can burn out and will need to be replaced.
- You will need to maintenance your water heater yearly to keep the water heater working as efficiently as possible. Sediment will build up in the tank over time and will need to be flushed out.
- Other maintenance will be needed such as checking and replacing the anode rod when it wears down and testing the TPR valve.
Quick tip: You can lower the thermostat on the second heating element, or even turn it completely off, to save a tremendous amount of money each month on fuel costs. Please realize that this means you’re getting only 25 gallons of hot water on any given day than the normal 50 gallons, so this tip should be used only in homes with families of two or less.
A-1 American provides plumbing, heating, air conditioning and water heater services to homes and businesses in the Hampton Roads Virginia cities of Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Newport News and Hampton and north into Williamsburg. A-1 American provides emergency service and repair, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including weekends and holidays. A-1 American charges by the job, not by the hour. A-1 American prides itself on immediate response, punctuality, courtesy and customer satisfaction.
Call today! Southside 757-425-2400 :: Peninsula 757-595-9900 :: Williamsburg 757-565-1900.
Image provided by: Stuart Miles at freedigitalphotos.net