Regular maintenance on your water heater will improve its efficiency and prolong its lifespan. You can either perform maintenance yourself or have a licensed professional maintenance it for you. Whether you have a gas, electric or tankless water heater, maintaining it will save you money over time. This advice has been compiled in part with A-1 American’s expert plumbers Virginia Beach.
Tips on Maintaining Your Water Heater Virginia Beach- From the Experts
Storage Tank Water Heaters
- According to ThisOldHouse.com, “adding insulation reduces heat loss by up to 45 percent” and reduces energy costs. By adding a simple fiberglass jacket to your water heater, you will improve its efficiency.
Set the temperature between 115 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit
- When a water heater is set between 115 to 120 degrees, it protects the tank from overheating. In addition, less energy will be used to heat the tank.
Test the TPR valve
- The temperature pressure release valve, or TPR valve can begin to open when there is too high of temperature or too much pressure. You can test the temperature pressure release valve by pulling up on the valve’s tab. The valve looks like a faucet located either at the top or the side of the tank. Lifting up on the tab will allow a small amount of water to pour out. As soon as you see water flow release the tab. If water continues to drip, then the valve will need to be replaced.
Check the anode rod
- There is a rod inside your water heater that is constructed of magnesium or aluminum around a steel wire that helps protect your water heater from corrosion. When the wire starts to show through, the anode rod needs to be replaced. Most likely, you will need to drain the tank and disconnect the pipes leading in and out of the water heater to unscrew the anode rod. Then tilt the tank to remove the rod. There are DIY instructions from wikihow if you read here.
Flush sediment from the tank
- Over time sediment builds up in your water heater Virginia Beach. The water heater must work harder to heat both the sediment and water which reduces its efficiency. Flushing the tank will remove some of the sediment, thereby improving efficiency, and reducing rust and corrosion. You can flush out your water heater by hooking up a garden hose to the water tank. For do-it-yourself instructions from DIY network click here.
Tankless Water Heaters
Flush out sediment
- Even though tankless water heaters do not have a tank, sediment still builds up in the unit. You should flush out sediment and lime build-up from the unit every six months to a year. Using CLR or vinegar will make the unit almost as good as new. Click here for DIY steps from wikihow. This process is a little more involved than flushing a storage tank water heater and you may want to call a professional.
Always call a professional if lines or faucets to your tank look corroded or if you do not know how to do any of the tips mentioned. All maintenance that requires a professional and/or license should be done by a licensed professional. A-1 American has licensed plumbers Virginia Beach that go all the way to the Hampton area. You should regularly maintain your water heater Virginia Beach! It will cost you a lot less money in the long run if you discover and fix a simple repair, rather than waiting until you are forced to replace the entire water heater Virginia Beach residents! A-1 American Services repairs and installs water heaters in Virginia Beach or anywhere in Hampton Roads. Call us today: Southside 757-425-2400 Peninsula 757-595-9900 Williamsburg 757-565-1900. Sources: This Old House.com, Homerepair.about.com, eHow.com, wikihow.com, diynetwork.com
For this and other information to help you with HVAC and Plumbing, you can count on A-1 American Services to help you repair or install what is best for your home.
Call today. Southside 757-425-2400 Peninsula 757-595-9900 Williamsburg 757-565-1900.
A-1 American provides air conditioning, heating, water heater and plumbing services to homes and businesses in the Hampton Roads Virginia cities of Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Newport News and Hampton and north into Williamsburg. A-1 American provides emergency service and repair, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including weekends and holidays. A-1 American charges by the job, not by the hour. A-1 American prides itself on immediate response, punctuality, courtesy and customer satisfaction. Call today! Southside 757-425-2400 Peninsula 757-595-9900 Williamsburg 757-565-1900.