Veterans Day, November 11th
The importance of Veterans Day is to celebrate and to honor America’s veterans for their patriotism, love of country, and willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good.
Veterans Day Facts from History.com/veterans-day
- 9.2 million veterans are over the age of 65.
- 1.9 million veterans are under the age of 35.
- 1.8 million veterans are women.
- 6 million veterans served in peacetime.
- 5.2 million veterans served during the Gulf War (representing service from Aug. 2, 1990, to present).
- 2.6 million veterans served during World War II (1941-1945).
- 2.8 million veterans served during the Korean War (1950-1953).
- 7.8 million veterans served during the Vietnam War era (1964-1975), which represents 33% of all living veterans.
A-1 American’s Patriotism
In 1949, President Truman signed an Act of Congress designating the 14th day of June every year as National Flag Day.
A quarter of a century ago, the founder and owner of A-1 American Heating, Plumbing and Air Conditioning served his country in the Navy. He is proud to be an American, and A-1 American’s Patriotism stems in part from his love of country and his appreciation for his freedoms and opportunities.
To show A-1 American’s Patriotism, here are some interesting facts about the American Flag. For more than 200 years, the American flag has been the symbol of our nation’s strength and unity. It’s been a source of pride and inspiration for millions of citizens. And the American Flag has been a prominent icon in our national history, too.
History of the Flag
- On June 14, 1777, in order to establish an official flag for the new nation, the Continental Congress passed the first Flag Act: “Resolved, That the flag of the United States be made of thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field, representing a new Constellation.”
- In May of 1776, Betsy Ross reported that she sewed the first American flag.
- Today the flag consists of thirteen horizontal stripes, seven red alternating with 6 white. The stripes represent the original 13 colonies, the stars represent the 50 states of the Union.
- Federal law stipulates many aspects of flag etiquette. The section of law dealing with American Flag etiquette is generally referred to as the Flag Code.
Colors of the Flag:
The colors of the flag are symbolic as well.
Red: Symbolizes Hardiness and Valor
White: Symbolizes Purity and Innocence
Blue: Represents Vigilance, Perseverance and Justice.
Here is also a great resource in finding some great ways to honor and celebrate service men and women as well as some helpful information in helping determine the differences between Memorial Day and Veteran’s Day.
Patriotic Songs. Lyrics that Stir our Hearts.
Just click on the title for a copy of the lyrics to these patriotic songs.
- America the Beautiful Lyrics – by Katharine Lee Bates – 1913
- God Bless America Lyrics – by Irving Berlin
- God Bless the USA Lyrics – by Lee Greenwood
- Halls of Montezuma Lyrics – The Marine’s Hymn
- Yankee Doodle Lyrics
- The Star-Spangled Banner Lyrics – By Francis Scott Key 1814
- America, My Country ‘Tis of Thee Lyrics – by Samuel F. Smith – 1832
- The Stars and Stripes Forever Lyrics – by John Philip Sousa – 1897
A-1 American Services provides air conditioning, heating and plumbing services, to homes and businesses in the Hampton Roads Virginia cities of Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Newport News and Hampton and north into Williamsburg. A-1 American provides emergency service and repair, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including weekends and holidays. A-1 American charges by the job, not by the hour. A-1 American prides itself on immediate response, punctuality, courtesy and customer satisfaction. Don’t forget about A-1 America’s Patriotism and Call today 757-425-2400